• February 5JH Boys BB @ Home 5:30 p.m. (2/11)

• February 5JH Boys BB @ Pleasant Hope 5:30 p.m. (2/7)

• February 5Girls BB @ Sarcoxie 6:00 p.m. (2/11)

There’s a New Counselor in Town

Mrs. Crofford, high school hero, loves to help students with school as well as personal problems.

Back to Article
Back to Article

There’s a New Counselor in Town

Mrs. Crofford: Our High School Hero

Mrs. Crofford: Our High School Hero

Photo By: Katie Langford

Mrs. Crofford: Our High School Hero

Photo By: Katie Langford

Photo By: Katie Langford

Mrs. Crofford: Our High School Hero

Angelina Huebner, Features

Our school counselor, Mrs. Rachael Crofford, is a very genuine and free-spirited woman. She deeply cares for each and every one of the students and hopes to help anyone in any way she can. However, her journey to Diamond wasn’t always what she had planned.

She started off her journey to be a school counselor when she was in college. Mrs. Crofford earned two degrees, one in religion and the other in psychology, and didn’t really know what to do with them. She worked various weird jobs before deciding that she wanted to do school counseling. Mrs. Crofford then went to Pitt State and received her master’s in school counseling. She started off in the elementary and the middle school for the past four years and this year she has moved up to the high school.

During our interview, I asked Mrs. Crofford why she decided that she wanted to be a counselor and her response was very clear and heartwarming. She says that truthfully there is many reasons like, she likes school schedules and getting holidays off because in other jobs she worked she did not get that privilege but she also elucidates, ” …it’s kind of that overwhelming, slightly cheesy response, where I wanted to help people, and I like working with kids, and I like kids of all ages, and I’m kind of goofy myself, and so it works pretty good at school so… there you go!” Mrs. Crofford’s goal in counseling is to meet the needs of students who come to her for help. She helps provide or find answers for anything that’s needed to fulfill basic needs like food and clothing but also doing things for students like helping them get into college and being their moral support to get through high school and graduate.

Everyone has a favorite part of their job and Mrs. Crofford definitely does. She states, “You guys! Just getting to talk to you guys and be a part of your story, I like that. I’m cheesy, I can’t help it. That’s who I am.”

For one of the last questions, I asked a more fun question to break the seriousness. I asked her how she spends her free time. She says that she likes Harry Potter and plays Pokémon Go. She also likes genealogy, the study of family history, and plays with her kid and does things for boy scouts and volunteers for girl scouts. She says she likes nerdy things and knows it all. “I’m a total nerd. I love it!”

In conclusion, it was really great talking to Mrs. Crofford and I had fun. I can say that we both did. She truly is a genuine, caring woman and wants to truly help the students. She is available when her door is open will be happy to talk to the students about anything.

Angelina Huebner, Writer

Angelina Huebner is part of the 2018-2019 Diamond Prowl. She's a junior this year and is looking forward to the memories that she and her friends will...