• October 13Speech & Debate Host: Oct. 19th

• October 12FB Senior Night: Oct. 19th

Filed under Student Life

DHS Clubs & Organizations

There are various clubs at DHS.

This is all the people who sit in a DECA leadership position. If you have any questions about DECA, contact one of them.

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Some students wonder if there is anything they can be a part of in high school besides sports, and thanks to clubs and organizations, there is. Clubs are an essential part of high school that allows us to make friends, explore our interests, become closer to the students we work with, and enjoys our school environment much more. At Diamond, there is a number of things to participate in this year! Let’s get started with FFA!

FFA, Future Farmers of America, or The National FFA Organization, is an organization that teaches students about agriculture. Students learn about transporting, growing, marketing and selling ag products, and more. They also get the opportunity to compete on a contest team, attend the National FFA convention with 60, 000 students from across the nation, show livestock, and much more. The instructor, Mrs. Steele was a member of FFA in high school and served as a chapter president, and on the area officer team. She says, “I think being involved in FFA provides an advantage as a student because we function off of a three-circle model, including our Supervised Ag Experience Program (job), classroom work, and FFA. The things you learn in the classroom will be used in FFA activities and vise versa. We also try to focus on career development. We want students to find a career path that is of interest to them, hopefully in an ag field.” If interested, form a meeting to talk more about FFA with Mrs. Steele in WCT or 4th hour. Staying on the topic of learning about the outdoors, here are two clubs that stick to that topic.

Stream Team is an interesting club where you learn to measure water quality, chemical quality, and study the stream flow of the Carver Branch. They also so some stream cleanup to help keep the environment clean and in check. They meet every 4th Tuesday in Mr. Curran’s room.  Mr. Curran says you can see him about Stream Team during passing periods, or whenever you see him.

Outdoor Club was started to help the future of wildlife. Mr. Curran says that he will introduce students to new activities like hunting, fishing, outdoor photography, and mapping patterns. He also will keep students up to date on trends on fishing and hunting. He also wants to teach the importance of preservation, conservation, and safety. They meet every 4th Thursday of the month in his classroom to discuss these things. Mr. Curran says he will be glad to talk about Outdoor Club also during passing periods, or whenever you see him. On the other hand, if you are not much of an outdoor person, the next few might be for you!

FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) is the organization to join if you are interested in business. It is a professional organization for business leaders and looks great on a job application and resume. Ms. Garrow adds “Plus, it shows prospective employers that you know how to communicate in the business world. It also demonstrates your ability to set goals and behave in a professional manner”. In FBLA, students participate in local monthly meetings, attend leadership conferences, and compete in 40+ events at the district, state, and possibly national levels. Ms. Garrow herself participated in CVE, something similar to FBLA in high school and also was a DECA advisor at Pittsburg High School for 20 years so she is definitely the individual to learn about business from. She is available before and after school, during lunch, and during her planning period 4th hour in her classroom #7. FBLA meets monthly during WCT also in her room. Next is a club that you brainiacs can enjoy, Scholar Bowl.

Scholar Bowl is a competitive academic team. The members sit around a table with a team and compete and try to be the first to answer questions of all kinds of different subjects by buzzing in. The instructor Mrs. Hayes and co-instructor Mrs. Ramsey practice with the team and make it fun for everyone and encourage anyone to join. Mrs. Hayes says “It (Scholar Bowl) can make you feel appreciated for your intelligence, help you become more outgoing, looks great on applications, and helps you appreciate others for their strengths”. As of now practice times have not been set but will be announced on the bulletin and on remind. Catch her before school or in WCT to discuss signing up. For the crowd looking to become teachers, this next organization is perfect.

FTA or Future Teachers of America promotes teaching and gives students the opportunity to get the first-hand experience of being a classroom teacher before college. It also supports the teachers in our school district by volunteering our time and providing resources teachers need throughout the year. Mrs. Shaw enjoys leading FTA because she enjoys teaching, working with students, and supporting fellow teachers. Mrs. Shaw points out, “Any kind of experience is an advantage. When FTA students are juniors and seniors, they can cadet teach in the elementary for a class hour. This helps them decide if teaching really is for them before they commit in college”. Their next FTA meeting is Tuesday, September 25th and students are welcome to come and discuss joining. Lastly, on part one of our school clubs and organizations is the Art Club.

Art Club is a place where students can explore art in the community. They have fun artistically while helping the school with props and such things. They also have the choice of entering art contests. The Art Club also has fun and sparks inspiration by taking at least one trip a year to museums or galleries. Art Club looks great on applications if art is your desired future job. Art Club also promotes an artistic lifestyle for an artist. They meet a few times a week when props are needed or just for art. You can talk to Mrs. Culp the art teacher about joining Art Club in WCT.

International Club is for all the individuals who like to learn, experience, and explore different cultures. In the International Club, they attend events like festivals, pow wows, dances, and music events. The club also hosts their own events like cooking classes. Those activities will be announced on Remind and in the bulletin. They also have a project that they work on during the year. This year they are making micro-loans to people in poverty-stricken areas of the world. The students who choose to participate in this project will have monthly meetings.  Mrs. Hayes says, “International Club helps to look outside of yourself to appreciate others”. To sign up feel free to come during WCT or before school. 

Speech and Debate is an activity where students can compete in speech-related events of various topics. Speech and Debate is an advantage for students who join because it teaches public speaking with poise, confidence, and professionalism. It is one of the best organizations to teach how to face the fear of public speaking. To get in contact with Mrs. Billingsley about Speech and Debate, visit her in WCT or after school. For the people who love the spotlight, Speech and Debate is perfect, but if you are looking for something without competition, then Drama will be the one for you.

Drama is a club where students can perform for school plays. They will be speaking but may also do a little bit of singing and dancing. Drama builds teamwork and teaches how to speak with more emotion and confidence. There are two plays throughout the school year for those who would like to participate in drama. One play is kids play and the other is for all audiences. Each year, different plays are used so never expect the same play again as there is a large variety. If you are looking for more information on Drama or want to join the drama, make sure to stop by Mrs. B and talk to her.

Band, choir, jazz band, and pep is a club for all the music lovers. To join band or jazz band,  you have to have experience prior to joining and prove that you can play an instrument. For choir, you don’t need any experience. Mrs. Laster says anyone can join, everyone can sing whether they think they can or not. Mrs. Laster has a strong desire for music and has been involved from a very young age. She says it builds friendships and is something you can do forever because music has no age limit. Speaking of her activities, she also does color guard. The band meets 7th hour, the choir meets 5th, and Jazz and pep meets WCT. She says her door is always open and will be happy to talk to the interested individuals.  

Clubs and organizations teach individuals to work with one another and gives them a chance to be a part of something. They are part of students identity in high school and it can be a meaningful time for students to find their passion.

Angelina Huebner, Writer

Angelina Huebner is part of the 2018-2019 Diamond Prowl. She's a junior this year and is looking forward to the memories that she and her friends will...