• October 13Speech & Debate Host: Oct. 19th

• October 12FB Senior Night: Oct. 19th

Back to School

Third-grade students in Mr. Smith's class Abby, Anna, Michelle, and Londyn.

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Abigail Harrold and McKinzie Peterson

Summertime is a time of relaxation, lazy days at the pool, and BBQs. To most students, and teachers as well, this is one of the most exciting parts of the year. However, with school beginning again, the late night weeknights and free days come to a close. Preschoolers or Kindergarteners begin their first year of school while Seniors start their last.

Preschool and kindergarten are exciting times for elementary students. The first day of getting to go to school ever, go to recess, and maybe even ride a bus for the first time, as well as make some friends and begin reading. A few students talked to the Prowl about some of their favorite things. Kayeleigh, who’s in Pre-K, said that she loves the color pink, and she watched Peppa Pig during the summer.  Another peer of Kayeleigh, Hunter, said that he loves lions and the Ninja Turtles. A student a year older, Carter, said he’s excited to begin swimming lessons this year, and that he loves to watch Scooby-Doo. Gunner Evans, a classmate of Carter, told us that he loves baseball and that he hopes to begin playing soon. While these students are just beginning elementary school, others are nearing the end.

Down another hallway are the third and fourth-grade classrooms. The four students we spoke to from this hallway are all in Mr. Smith’s third-grade class. The first student we spoke with was Londyn Cain. She said, “Summer was really fun and good. I went to the fair, and I got to ride horses.” Michelle Rangel, who is friends with Londyn, confided in us that she also went to the fair over the summer. She loved seeing the horses and that was her favorite part.  Both Michelle and Londyn are excited to learn more in math this school year. Anna Roszell is excited to learn how to make homemade slime this year. During summer break, she got to swim at her great uncle’s house. Abby Pugh spoke with us as well, saying that she is excited to write in cursive and that she likes to use Snapchat. With these students getting closer to middle school, some students are growing close to graduation.

Though graduation is four years away for the freshman, Hannah Pennel is still nervous for this year. However, in spite of the nerves, she is excited about Competitive Speech and Drama. Over the break, she watched Netflix and played softball. She hopes to play later on in the spring. Sophomore Emily Meador also watched during the summer. So far, she’s not liking school but jokes that there’s room for improvement. She is also taking Drama, and she is also liking her art class so far. Brittany Moody, who is a Junior this year, said “This school year is going good so far. I am excited about art, marketing, and psychology.”

No matter the grade a student is in, the school year beginning can be something fun, with a little sadness, as well as the beginning of a new chapter in someone’s life. From just starting school for the first time to being one of the last times, school is a way to connect people. Whether it be for math or other classes, to slime and Snapchat, or even sports and art, it’s a unifier.

Abigail Harrold, Editor

Abigail Harrold is new to the Prowl staff this year. She is a junior, and she is involved with basketball and the play. In her free time, Abigail writes...

McKinzie Peterson, Reporter

McKinzie is a junior who attends Diamond High School. She is involved in a college program called Upward Bound, and of course media class for several years....