MWI Welding Contest

Owner+of+WMI+

Owner of WMI

Zach Baird, Reporter

The Missouri Welding Institute held their annual welding competition on January 28th and 29th. The welding contest is two days long with the high school contest on the 28th and the Votec contest on the 29th. The school offers prizes for the top five winners and have random drawings for prizes throughout the day. The students get $1000 scholarship just for registering and showing up. During the contest students had to complete a ten stringer bead pass on one T plate and four weave passes on the other. Then they had to tack them together all in 90 minutes. The winner of the contest got a full ride scholarship and a welder machine along with a few other things. Second place got half of the school paid in scholarships and third place got a portion of it paid. This year the contest had a record number of students of about 300+ show up for the contest. The campus not only held the contest but also held a job fair for students to talk to businesses in the welding field.  Zach Baird from Diamond High School competed in the contest and got a $1000 dollar scholarship. He also got enrolled with the school and is committed for this fall.

Students listening to the rules and regulations before the start of the competition.