Diamond 2020 NHS Inductions

Gabriela Vizueth, Reporter

Diamond High School has some fresh new faces joining the National Honors Society. The new members even ranged from sophomores all the way up to some seniors. President Emily Valdez introduced Mr. Hubbard, Mrs. Smith, and the guest speaker Mrs. Parrish. Mr. Parrish talked about how being in NHS in high school affected her life along with her classmates’ lives. The new inductees pledged themselves to continue to push themselves in character, leadership, service, and scholarship. Each pillar was represented by a candle which was lit by a current member while another explained the purpose. Diamond welcomed the new NHS members and took a picture of the updated chapter.

The National Honors Society was actually founded in 1921 and is a nationwide organization for high school students in the United States. It is estimated that more than one million students participate in NHS activities by volunteering in their community. They make connecting with and serving the community a priority and each chapter contributes, on average:

• 1,000 hours of school/community service
  • $26,000 in charitable donations
  • 1,000 pounds of food to local, state, and national causes
  • 100 pints of blood during blood donations

Since 1946, more than $15 million in scholarships have been awarded to outstanding NHS senior members. The scholarship program is supported by the parent organization: The National Association of Secondary School Principles (NASSP).

2019-2020  Scholarship Distributions:

• 1st National Winner-$25,000 scholarship
  • 24 National Finalists-$5,625 scholarship
  • 575 National Semifinalists- $3,200 scholarship
  • Total Scholarships Awarded- 600
  • Total Scholarship Distributed- $2 million