• March 13Boys Baseball 4:30 p.m. @home (3/25)

• February 5JH Boys BB @ Home 5:30 p.m. (2/11)

• February 5JH Boys BB @ Pleasant Hope 5:30 p.m. (2/7)

PSA: Tornado Safety

Katie Langford & McKinzie Peterson, Writer

Tornadoes are a serious thing and are very intimidating. Living in tornado valley, we should learn how to protect ourselves in these kinds of situations. Each spring, there are risks for strong storms that bring tornadoes into the area. Are we prepared?

In Missouri alone, the average number of tornadoes per year is approximately 45. Tornadoes cause an average of 70 fatalities and 1,500 injuries in the United States each year. 5 of the 25 deadliest tornadoes in United States history occurred in Missouri, and 3 of these ranks among the top 10. There’s different types of places you can go to take shelter such as: a basement, a tornado shelter, or a room in your house with no windows. Community storm shelters and FEMA buildings are becoming more common. They allow access to schools, as well as the community, in storm situations such as tornadoes.

Diamond High School’s very own Mr. Batey is a storm chaser and has been for 20 years. Thankfully, he hasn’t been in a too risky situation with a tornado. One of the signs for a tornado is when the sky gets green. Since he’s a storm chaser he has of course witnessed the aftermath of tornadoes such as the one in Joplin, MO, in 2011. A couple pointers Batey gave us was to find a place when you find out there’s a tornado because time is limited, and the other thing is if your going to be a storm chaser then make sure to have proper training before being a storm chaser. 

Image result for tornadoImage result for tornado shelter