• February 5JH Boys BB @ Home 5:30 p.m. (2/11)

• February 5JH Boys BB @ Pleasant Hope 5:30 p.m. (2/7)

• February 5Girls BB @ Sarcoxie 6:00 p.m. (2/11)

Diamond Scholar Bowl Team Success

Scholar Bowl Meet in Miller Aftermath

Back to Article
Back to Article

Diamond Scholar Bowl Team Success

Angelina Huebner, Writer

On February 12, Diamond’s Scholar Bowl team attended a meet in Miller. Miller, Pleasant Hope, and Diamond were the three schools that participated in this meet. The three school did there best and had fun competing in the games. Our team did especially well.

The varsity team won all the rounds they played and worked very hard for their win. They game with Pleasant Hope came close, but the varsity managed to beat them. Up until now, Pleasant Hope has been undefeated and our Diamond varsity team beat them. They represent the Scholar Bowl team very well since junior varsity did not have the chance to play in this meet. There was miscommunication with the other schools resulting in the other schools not bringing their junior varsity teams. The junior varsity sat out in another room and used their time wisely by splitting up in two teams and practicing.

The scholar bowl team has not played Pleasant Hope until now, so the coach, Mrs. Hayes, was hoping Diamond would win but was ultimately expecting one win and one loss. They have taken away a few things from this meet including confidence and especially the types of questions they need to work on. Every player is different, some need to work on answering questions, even when they are unsure. Most of the time they are right but not confident enough to answer. Others have too much confidence and buzz in before the question is asked in the reading because they want to be the first to answer. Some need to work on that because it has costed them a few points. Overall, the team needs to work on timing and work more on bonus question rebounds, which is when they can communicate with their team. This flaw is something that they have been continuously improving on as a team and they have been doing much better in bonus. Their strengths are also worth mentioning. Mrs. Hayes says that the team gets along well and have an understanding of each persons’ knowledge and individual strengths and they take that into account when they are playing. The team also has players with wide knowledge in subjects that they are confident in.

Diamond’s Scholar Bowl varsity team did very well against the three schools and beat an undefeated team all while having fun and having faith in game. The teams are looking forward to their next meet, on February 28th and hope for another win.

Angelina Huebner, Writer

Angelina Huebner is part of the 2018-2019 Diamond Prowl. She's a junior this year and is looking forward to the memories that she and her friends will...