Super Smash Bros. Addiction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Super Smash Bros. Addiction

Image from Ichowler.net

Image from Ichowler.net

Image from Ichowler.net

Image from Ichowler.net

Tucker Adams

Recently, Diamond High School students have become obsessed with the Nintendo Switch game called Super Smash Bros Ultimate. In fact, I even own a copy of the game myself. For those who don’t know, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a fighting game where one chooses a Nintendo game to play as such as Mario, but what is it that has made this game popular around Diamond High School?

First off, the game blew up due to good advertising. When it was first revealed back at E3, a gaming convention, it was painted as the “Ultimate” Smash Bros game. It would feature the return of every character as well as every single level to ever appear in a Super Smash Bros game. This instantly bolstered hype for the game right from the get go.

Second, the game became subject to many internet memes. While being only internet jokes, they still helped the game. By people creating memes about the game it spread the existence of the game. Also many of the younger generation, such as students at Diamond, love memes which by seeing memes about Super Smash Bros can create interest in the actually game.

Thirdly, the series was already popular to begin with. The first installment came out in 1999, and it has been growing in popularity with every new addition. Many fans of the series have been playing since they have been kids like myself. The game is has proven lots of fun, for most, even all these years later since the first installment came out.  

Finally, the Nintendo Switch has made playing Super Smash Bros the easiest it has ever been. Two main features of the Switch have helped in the sales of Super Smash Bros. One, the Switch has great portability which allows for one to play on the go and anywhere one goes. Two, the Switch comes with multiple controllers that allow for multiple people to play at a time even on the go!

So all in all, there are many reasons as to Super Smash Bros. has blown up at Diamond High School, and hopefully, reading this will have given a better explanation as to why the game is popular and being constantly talked about.