• October 13Speech & Debate Host: Oct. 19th

• October 12FB Senior Night: Oct. 19th

Speech & Debate: Home Meet

"Once you find that topic and event that is right for you, you start to get more involved in it, and it becomes more and more fun." - Hadley Butler, speech and debate chairman.

Diamond will be hosting a home speech and debate meet on October 19th.

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Abigail Harrold, Editor

Speech and debate is well known to most, however, many people do not get to see what goes on behind the scenes. On October 19th, Diamond will be hosting a compitation at the high school, starting at two. Mrs. Billingsly, also known as Mrs. B, is the speech and debate teacher as well as the organization’s leader.

Mrs. B said she hopes that Diamond will do well at their first meet, this Saturday, in Nevada. On the 19th, however, Diamond will be hosting other school. “When a school is hosting, this means they can’t compete.” says Mrs. B. She said she likes this when they compete at larger schools because then there’s a better chance of winning. Another thing Mrs. B said is that speech and debate is the only MSHSAA (Missouri State High School Activities Association) where the size of the school doesn’t matter. Also, in speech and debate, someone could win first through sixth place. Along with that, there is an odd number of judges that way there are no ties. There will be a concession stand for students and guests run by DECA, and a hospitality room for bus drivers and staff run by Nation Honor Society. The home meet on October 19th starts at two in the afternoon, and it should end by ten. In order to join speech and debate, you can go to meetings or be in the class. Hadley Butler, junior, assists in the meetings.

Hadley Butler has been a member of speech and debate since her freshman year, and this year, she is the chairman of it. Speech has many options for what on can do, and for solo someone can do: humorous interpretation, dramatic interpretation, POI, poetry, prose, radio, and more. Meanwhile, in group, someone could choose: duo, duet, and improvisation. Debate, however, is learning facts and presenting them in an arguementive setting. In Speech, Hadley competes in duo and duet. “In duet, you can touch your partner and make eye contact. However, in duo, you are not allowed to look at each other or touch. This can really change the way a performance looks.” Along with that, Hadley said that competing is fun and can help improve public speaking skills, and you will get to make the piece and characters your own. Hadley also added “My favorite things about speech are getting close to people, not only from your team, but the people from other schools you meet.” Hadley ended by saying that speech and debate is important and helps you in most jobs, looks good for college, and helps with speaking skills. Another member of speech is Josie Thompson.

Josie Thompson, also a junior, has been a member of speech since her sophomore year. In speech, Josie does poetry, dramatic interpretation, humorous interpretation, and duo. She also added “My favorite thing about speech and debate is being with all of my supportive friends.” Along with that, she said speech and debate has made her more outgoing and excited to try new things.

Speech and debate a great tool for students, and if you or someone you know is interested, contact Mrs. B or Hadley Butler. The also have a Facebook page, which is called Diamond High School Speech, Debate, and Drama.

Abigail Harrold, Editor

Abigail Harrold is new to the Prowl staff this year. She is a junior, and she is involved with basketball and the play. In her free time, Abigail writes...