Say Hi to Smith

Mrs. Smith, the new high school principal talks about her journey to becoming a principal, that started in elementary school.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Say Hi to Smith

Mrs. Smith, the new Diamond high school principal.

Photo By: Emily Meador

Photo By: Emily Meador

Photo By: Emily Meador

Angelina Huebner, Writer

Being a high school principal is a big deal. They get to see the final growth of students lives from a teen to an adult. They make a difference for teens all around the world inspiring and leading them to work hard for success the student wants in their future. This year Diamond welcomes the new DHS principal Mrs. Amy Smith

Mrs. Smith started her journey when she attended school in Lebanon. She had the same principal from kindergarten to fifth grade, and while other students were intimidated by this principal, Mrs. Smith loved her principal. Mrs. Smith then decided that she wanted to be a principal, in fourth or fifth grade. Her senior year she received a scholarship in the name of her elementary principal. She graduated from Lebanon in 1991 and then graduated from Missouri Southern. She has her Specialist degree through Missouri State. Mrs. Smith was a teacher for 17 years before she became an Administrator. She taught 1st grade for one year and decided that was not her thing. She then made her decision to work with older kids. In total, she was an Administrator for six years this year. She says she likes high school because she gets to see the end results of the students and also gets to be a part of whatever the students decide to do after high school. The goal Mrs. Smith is that by the time a student graduates, she wants them to know what they are going to do such as going to college, going to the military, or going to work. Although those plans might change she wants to make sure everyone knows where they are going to start and get done everything they need to do to accomplish that. Learning is a big part of everyone’s experiences and Mrs. Smith has done her share of learning while maintaining her role as principal. She has learned some skills like being patient, but she has also learned that every problem has multiple solutions but the solution has to be fitted towards the situation. Another thing she has learned is that many problems have multiple points of view and she has to be open-minded and take everyone’s point of view into consideration. “Parents want what’s best for their children, teachers want what’s best for their students, and students want to be heard”.

Inspirations keep us going and for Mrs. Smith her inspirations keep her going too. She loves to see the growth in her students and making sure they leave as adults, not babies. Her favorite part of her job is going into the classrooms to see the teachers teach and talking to the students and seeing what they are working on and talk to them. By doing this she also learns a little about the what the student is doing. Everyone needs a break so outside of school Mrs. Smith likes to read, to play Sudoku, crochet, sew, and travel. Her favorite genre of book is historical fiction, and right now, she is reading a book that she can really connect to because this book has a few settings in Missouri.

The last Question I asked her during our interview was if there was anything she wanted to mention or if she had a quote she likes and lives by. “Speak softly and carry a big stick,” was her answer. This quote was said by President Theodore Roosevelt referring to the foreign policy, but for Mrs. Smith, she uses it a little differently. “Even as a principal, I want to speak softly because I don’t want to alienate anybody. When you are yelling at people they don’t want to listen to you, but in carrying a big stick you want to be able to have the resources to get things done that you want to get done”.

Mrs. Smith is loyal and loves her students and staff like family and does not want anything negative associated with diamond. She is happy to be here and be part of the student’s lives. Welcome to Diamond Mrs. Smith!