New Sheriff in Town: Mr. Lawrence

"When you see that aha moment light up in their face, to me, that's priceless." - Mr. Lawrence, Middle School Principal

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Sheriff in Town: Mr. Lawrence

Mr. Lawrence poses with the middle school football team.

Photo By: Emily Meador

Photo By: Emily Meador

Photo By: Emily Meador

Abigail Harrold, Editor

This year, all the Diamond schools added new principals. Principals help keep the school together, and the new leadership in the middle school hopes to do just that. In the middle school, Mr. Lawrence became the new principal by chance and was very excited to fill the position at Diamond.

John Lawrence was born and raised in Toronto, Kansas, growing up on a farm while being taught at Eureka schools. After graduating in 1980, went to get his Bachelor’s degree in science and education, and from there, he went to Garden City as an industrial arts instructor for thirteen years. After that, he received his  Master’s degree in administration. Mr. Lawrence then went to Chanute working as an assistant principal for seventeen years. In the past three years, he was the principal at Chanute. He is currently working towards getting his Doctorate. While his journey to being a principal is clear, getting to Diamond was an accident. Mr. Lawence was bored at Garden City and moved up to principal there. While in the position, he heard about the one at Diamond, in which he applied. He now has been a principal for twenty-one years.

Every principal has a goal for what they would like to see down in the school, and Mr. Lawrence is no different. He spoke, saying, “I would like to see at the school kids being ready for high school. I would also like our kids to be critical thinkers, be able to think at a higher level, have good reasoning skills, and be ready for post-secondary school.” While being a principal, he has learned that no two days are the same, and each day the kids teach him something each day. Along with that, what inspires him is that he can make a positive change, as well as allow students and teachers to take risks. His favorite part of his job is cheering up kids when they get off the bus and making a positive change in kids lives.

Outside of school, however, Mr. Lawrence is into industrial arts, similar to the ones he used to teach. In his personal time, Mr. Lawrence loves to do woodworking. His wife and daughter like to give him projects, such as tables, to fix up for them. Over the summer break, he made over a dozen projects. Since moving to Missouri, he hopes to enjoy the hunting and fishing here.

When asked what else he would like to add, he responded by saying how thankful he was for being in the middle school. Mr.Lawrence said that they are very kind and that he has had a positive change in his life since being at Diamond.