• October 13Speech & Debate Host: Oct. 19th

• October 12FB Senior Night: Oct. 19th

Thank You, Mrs. Northup

Mrs. Northup, the new elementary principal talks about school, her journey, and her goals.

Mrs. Northup, the elementary principal.

Mrs. Northup, the elementary principal.

Photo By: Emily Meador

Photo By: Emily Meador

Mrs. Northup, the elementary principal.

Angelina Huebner, Writer

What is a principal? According to Merriam Webster dictionary, a principal is the chief executive officer of an educational institution. To the students, teachers, and faculty they are more than just that. 

Mrs. Lisa Northup, the new elementary principal, started off as a Neosho elementary student and graduated there. She went to Crowder College for two years on a full music scholarship and graduated with an Associate’s Degree, wanting to be a music teacher. After graduation, she went to Missouri State for two years. She then picked up a new interest, business. Twenty years ago, she went back to get her Degree in education at MSSU and then proceeded to Pitt State for her Masters. Next, she went to Arkansas State, finishing her coursework on her Doctorate; she is now finishing her Doctorate from William Woods University. Her first teaching job was teaching 4th and 5th grade in Carl Junction. She taught there while her boys attend there, and then after they graduated from high school as well. When her sons both graduated from college, she decided to find a principal position. This is her first year as a principal and started this past summer in July. Mrs. Northup has many goals for the elementary: she wants to develop relationships with the students, the staff members, and the community. Her primary goal is to improve the curriculum. Mrs. Northup says lots of times fun things are done in the elementary, but it doesn’t prepare the children for school later on. Mrs. Northup also would like to work more with technology and do away with worksheets. Mrs. Northup has learned that dealing with a kindergartner and dealing with a 4th and 5th grader are two completely different things. Another big thing she has learned is standing up for what’s right even if it isn’t the popular view of others. That itself has taught her to have strength because she can’t please everyone, but she will do the best for the students.

Inspirations are another thing that has been part of fulfilling her dream of being a principal. Some of the principals and teachers she had in the past, some of the principles she has worked to inspire her. A unique thing about what inspires her though is that not all of her inspiration is positive. She keeps a picture of herself as a child and a picture of a teacher she had that she doesn’t desire to be like in her office. “I remind myself of what it was like to be a kid and what it was like to be in a classroom that wasn’t conducive to learning, and that’s what I never ever want to be like. Believe it or not, sometimes it’s those things that inspire you to be better.” She says it is her duty to make sure that no kid has to go through a personal experience like hers, and wants them to feel safe and secure, loved but also to receive the academics that will help them in the future. What reassures her and is her favorite part of her job is the hugs and thank yous she gets from the students. She also really appreciates the relationship she has with the other principals in Diamond and the superintendent, Mr. Hubbard, and feels they’re reliable.

The last question asked was what was a hobby of hers or something she does out of school. Mrs. Northup and her husband enjoy traveling and love the beach, along with reading and learning. The books she reads about education and self-improvement. Her favorite author is Patricia Polacco, a writer who struggled with her dyslexia as a child and had a special teacher who made a difference in her life and taught her how to learn with her disability. She is the author of Thank You, Mr. Falker. Mrs. Northup is a massive fan of her, and she has met her a few times. She thinks the story shows that you can be anything you want to be and everyone has something they have to overcome. 

Mrs. Northup wants to take the time to work with the kids and help them get over their obstacles. When she first started teaching she said she would be happy if she could change the life of one student then her job is done and her goal is reached. Knowing that she has touched lives she feels like it is the most amazing job ever. She is a true principle and definitely needs to be put in the Merriam Webster dictionary.

Angelina Huebner, Writer

Angelina Huebner is part of the 2018-2019 Diamond Prowl. She's a junior this year and is looking forward to the memories that she and her friends will...