• December 5Boys BB at Home- 5:30 (12/13)

• December 5Girls BB at Home- 5:30 (12/13)

DECA: Future Business Leaders

DECA is an organization at Diamond that is a business based learning experience.

Back to Article
Back to Article

DECA: Future Business Leaders

This is all the people who sit in a DECA leadership position. If you have any questions about DECA, contact one of them.

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Photo By: Abigail Harrold

Abigail Harrold

DECA is a business and marketing class. In this class, students compete with other marketing students and learn about leadership and entrepreneurship. DECA is a community-oriented, helps students be academically prepared, promotes responsibility, and builds leaders. On October 1st, DECA is adding new members at their DECA Initiation. On that night, Ms. Ellis, the DECA teacher, will be inducting the new members.

Christine Ellis, the Diamond DECA chapter leader, spoke about DECA to the Prowl. Ms. Ellis has been teaching DECA twenty now, and she said the person who inspired her to go into DECA was her high school teacher who taught it. Ms. Ellis said “My favorite thing about DECA is helping students come up with goals and teaching them how to achieve them. Also, traveling with students and teaching them about real-world business.” Students in DECA have the opportunity to attend educational conferences all over the U.S; compete at a district, state, and national level; partner and intern with local area businesses; receive recognition awards; learn to run a school-based enterprise; receive thousands of dollars in scholarships for college; and network with other students from area schools. Ms. Ellis will also be doing the DECA initiations on October 1st.

On October 1st, starting at six p.m. in the high school, Diamond will host their annual DECA initiation event. All family of DECA members are invited as well. On this day, also, all the officers and members will be inducted. The event will also have a dessert bar, in honor of all the new members. One of the new officers is Maddie Cupp, and another new student is Chelsea Long.

Maddie Cupp, who has now been in DECA two years, said that she loves the people that she is surrounded be, and the opportunities that it provides for her. This year, Maddie is competing for the entrepreneurship promotion event. This means that she gets to work alongside younger kids and teach them about things like owning a business or selling a product(s). On initiation night, she will be officially inducted as the Vise President. Another student who will be added to DECA officially is junior Chelsea Long.

Chelsea Long, a DECA student of two years now, will also be inducted on the 1st. “I like how Mrs. Ellis keeps everything very interesting, and I love learning about marketing and business,” Chelsea said. She also spoke, saying that she would recommend DECA because it is very fun and very interesting. Almost every job requires marketing, so it is very useful.

If you are interested in DECA, contact Ms. Ellis. In order to be in DECA, you must be enrolled in the class. They also have a Twitter account, @diamonddeca_ where they post updates.

Abigail Harrold, Editor

Abigail Harrold is new to the Prowl staff this year. She is a junior, and she is involved with basketball and the play. In her free time, Abigail writes...